The governments of Somalia and Burundi jointly released a statement containing 16 points, after a working trip by President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud to the country.
President Hassan Sheikh discussed with his Burundian counterpart Évariste Ndayishimiye many issues including the strengthening of cooperation between the two countries, the fight against al-Shabaab and the Somali members of the East African Community (EAC).
The meeting between the two presidents of Somalia and Burundi took place in Bujumbura, the capital of Burundi.
Read the details of the press release below:-
1. On the invitation of the President of the Republic of Burundi, Mr. Evariste Ndayishimiye, who is also the Chairman of the East African Community, the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia, Mr. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, arrived in this country on November 15, 2023.
2. The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia, Mr. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, is leading a delegation of ministers and senior officials from the Federal Republic of Somalia.
3. When he landed at Melchior Ndadaye International Airport in Bujumbura, President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud and his delegation were warmly welcomed by Ambassador Albert Shinjiro, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Ministers and senior leaders of the Government of Burundi.
4. In the afternoon, the two Presidents had a face-to-face meeting in a friendly manner, in which they expressed their commitment to strengthen the strong bilateral relations that are not limited to the two governments. but also between the two peoples of Burundi and Somalia.
5. The two Presidents reviewed the level of friendly cooperation between the two countries, and stressed the need to strengthen relations and close cooperation based on trust and common interests of both governments and people.
6. Madaxweyne Dr. Xasan Sheekh Maxamuud wuxuu dhiggiisa Burundi Madaxweyne Evariste Ndayishimiye ku ammaanay dadaalkiisa aan daalka lahayn ee uu gacanta kaga geysanayo dib u soo celinta nabadda, amniga iyo xasilloonida Soomaaliya iyadoo loo sii marayo Hawlgalka Midowga Afrika ee ATMIS. Sidoo kale, labada hoggaamiye waxay bogaadiyeen Ciidanka Burundi, kuwa Xoogga Dalka Soomaaliyeed iyo kuwa ATMIS ee ku sugan furimaha ee la dagaallamaya kooxda argagaxisada ee Al-Shabaab.
7. Madaxweyne Xasan Sheekh Maxamuud wuxuu kaloo ku ammaanay Madaxweyne Evariste Ndayishimiye doorka uu ka qaatay dib u soo celinta nabadda, amniga iyo xasilloonida Bariga Jamhuuriyadda Dimuqraaddiga Kongo iyadoo loo sii marayo geeddisocodka Nairobi iyo sidoo kale doorka Burundi ee hawlgalka nabad ilaalinta ee Jamhuuriyadda Afrikada Dhexe.
8. Mudane Evariste Ndayishimiye, Madaxweynaha Jamhuuriyadda Burundi wuxuu uga mahadceliyay Mudane Xasan Sheekh Maxamuud, Madaxweynaha Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya booqashada shaqo ee uu ku yimid Jamhuuriyadda Burundi, wuxuuna ku ammaanay dadaalladiisa aan daalka lahayn ee uu ugu jiro nabadda, amniga, dimuqraaddiyada iyo horumarka Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka Soomaaliya.
9. Labada Madaxweyne waxay ammaaneen dhisidda Guddiga Wadajirka ee joogtada ah ee qaabilsan iskaashiga (JPCC) si loo dajiyo qaab dhismeed iskaashi labo geesood ah oo u dhaxeeya labada dal, iskaashi dhinacyo badan taabanaya, sida ganacsiga iyo maalgelinta, dhisidda karaanka, beeraha, waxbarashada, caafimaadka, dalxiiska, gaashaandhigga iyo amniga, wada xaajoodyada siyaasadda, si looga faa’iideeyo labada dal iyo dadka ku nool.
10. Si loo sii xoojiyo, loo qoto dheereeyo isla markaasna loo dardargeliyo iskaashiga dhow ee u dhaxeeya labada dal, labada madaxweyne waxay hoosta ka xarriiqeeen baahida degdegga ah ee loo qabo in mustaqbalka dhow la qabto kulan uu yeesho Guddiga Wadajirka ee joogtada ah ee qaabilsan iskaashiga (JPCC). Sidaas awgeed, waxay labada madaxweyne fareen Wasiirradooda Arrimaha Dibadda inay qabanqaabiyaan kulanka Guddiga Wadajirka ee joogtada ah ee qaabilsan iskaashiga labada dal.
11. Arimaha heerka gobol, labada madaxweyne waxay caddeeyeen sida ay uga go’an tahay ajandaha 2030 ee Qaramada Midoobay, ajandaha 2063 ee Midowga Afrika, kan 2050 ee Dallada Bulshada Bariga Afrika iyo hirgelinta Heshiiska Ganacsiga ee hal suuq loogu abuurayo ganacsiga iyo adeegyada waddamada qaaradda Afrika AfCFTA)
12. The two Presidents emphasized the priority given to the challenges facing the East African Community EAC in 2022-2026, among which, the implementation of the Unified Customs (SCT), that regional obligations are based on local circumstances, in accordance with a system – Pursuing the EAC Single Market, strengthening peace, security, stability and good governance in the region.
13. The two sides also reviewed the regional and international situations that affect cooperation, including the situations in Congo, DRC and Sudan. Both parties stressed the importance of the support of the international community in the current regional efforts aimed at achieving a comprehensive political solution to the Congo DRC crisis in accordance with the Nairobi and Luanda agreements.
On the issue of Sudan, the two leaders agreed on the urgent need for a ceasefire to allow humanitarian aid and to find a lasting solution to the conflict in Sudan through dialogue and cooperation.
14. In international affairs, the two presidents expressed strong concern about the security situation in the world that is increasing in direct conflicts between countries and indirect wars in several regions, and they called on all the countries concerned to use a mechanism Diplomacy that includes dialogue, negotiation and cooperation to find a peaceful solution to the security challenges facing the world at this very difficult time.
15. The two Presidents also insisted on respecting the United Nations Charter and international law in the management of current conflicts in the world, and the two Presidents called on all parties involved in the repeated conflicts in the world to immediately cease fire. to save the lives of innocent people, and overcome the causes that undermine international development efforts.
16. The President of the Federal Republic of Somalia, Mr. Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, at the end of his working trip, thanked and praised the President of the Republic of Burundi, Mr. Evariste Ndayishimiye, the Government and the people of the Republic of Burundi for the welcome and honor they received him and the delegation he led in the Republic of Burundi.